FARMINGTON – A candle left burning after a local resident went to bed caused a small fire in a Mosher Hill Road home Thursday morning.

No one was injured in the blaze, and residents had put it out by the time firefighters arrived on the scene, Fire Chief Terry Bell said Thursday.

One of the occupants of the Collins residence at 342 Mosher Hill Road apparently forgot to blow out a candle sitting in a plastic bowl before going to bed, Bell said. The bowl caught fire, and the fire spread to the floor of the bedroom, he added.

The bedroom’s occupant woke up after smelling smoke, Deputy Chief Tim Hardy said. By the time the two Farmington engines arrived, the fire was out. Hardy estimated damage at between $3,000 and $3,500.

There were no smoke detectors in the upper floor of the home, Hardy said. “It’s a blessing that he woke up because there were no smoke detectors upstairs,” Hardy said.

For as long as they last, the fire department is giving out two free smoke detectors to every Farmington household that wants them, Hardy said. “It’s a very good idea for people to have smoke detectors – and the proper amount of smoke detectors,” he said.



Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.