LEWISTON – The rookies led the way at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee on Friday night.

Samuel Metevier scored on the Maineiacs’ third shootout attempt to lead the team to a 6-5 victory over the Saint John Sea Dogs in front of a crowd of 625.

Mike Muir, who allowed five goals on 24 shots in the second half of the game to necessitate a shootout, redeemed himself in the shootout, stopping all five Saint John offerings to earn the win.

“He still has a lot to learn,” said Maineiacs’ assistant coach Ed Harding, who handled coaching duties in Lewiston on Friday. “He’s a little jittery at times. The positive part about it is that he probably knows he gave up a few soft goals, but he rose to the occasion in the shootout.”

Alexander Beaton scored twice and Chad Denny, Daniel Basque and Josh Smith each scored once to make up for Muir’s shaky outing.

“Alexander Beaton was one of our best players,” said Harding. “I put the lines together for a certain reason tonight, and in crucial situations, I had younger guys out there because we want to see what they can do. I don’t want one kid to come back to me a week from now and say, ‘Hey coach, I never got a chance.’ We’re going to give them that chance.”

Despite Harding’s pleasure with the performance of the younger players, he was less than satisfied with the veterans.

“I was very disappointed in our players who are returning,” said Harding. “I don’t even know that I’d use (veteran) because they didn’t show me any veteran leadership at all. Their job is to help these young kids excel, and that didn’t happen. It was like they wanted to create their own show out there.”

David Perron missed a chance to give the Maineiacs the win in regulation when he was hauled down on a breakaway with 14 seconds to play. Perron was awarded a penalty shot, but missed the net high and to the right with a quick wrist shot on his forehand side.

Meanwhile, on the road, Pierre-Luc Faubert announced his return to the Lewiston Maineiacs in a big way.

The 20-year-old scored four goals – three unassisted, two short-handed and one on the power play – to lead that half of the Maineiacs to a 4-2 win over the Sea Dogs in Fredericton, New Brunswick.

Lewiston overcame 17 Saint John power plays to post the road win.

The two teams in Lewiston took the first 20 minutes to feel each other out, though the Maineiacs did most of the hands-on work, outshooting the visiting Sea Dogs 14-6, including 10-1 to start the game.

Saint John sent 10 skaters to the penalty box in the opening frame, resulting in eight Lewiston power plays, while the Maineiacs allowed the Sea Dogs four.

Lewiston did manage a goal in the first stanza, when Chad Denny let rip a slap shot from the left point that beat Saint John goaltender Matthew Dopud over the right shoulder.

The Maineiacs nearly had another goal from Daniel Basque in the final minute of the period, but referee Gislain Hebert ruled that the net was off its mooring before Basque wrapped the puck around the net.

In similar fashion, the Maineiacs’ traveling squad came away empty in the first period in Fredericton, but Faubert ignited the team in the second with a pair of goals, his first against QMJHL competition since February 29, 2004 when he scored twice against Moncton.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.