WILMINGTON, N.Y. (AP) – An electrical contractor doing a preseason check on equipment at an Adirondack ski resort has been electrocuted.

The Olympic Regional Development Authority says 44-year-old William Cowie of Stark, N.H., was killed testing a transformer at about 7 a.m. Tuesday in the Kids Kampus area at Whiteface Mountain.

The Essex County medical examiner ruled the death accidental, saying Cowie died immediately from cardiac arrest. The section of the mountain where Cowie was killed is not open to the public during the summer and fall.

ORDA says power at the site has been temporarily shut down and state police investigated the accident.

Cowie worked with a Concord, N.H., team contracted to do annual testing on transformers throughout the Whiteface complex.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.