RUMFORD – About 20 firefighters from Rumford and Mexico fire departments responded to a chimney fire on East Andover Road Monday night.

Rumford deputy fire Chief Chris Bryant said minimal damage was caused to the home owned by Gary and Judy Baldwin, who live on the West Coast. Eric Payne is the tenant.

Bryant said Payne was at home when caulking that had been applied around a stovepipe ignited at 7:38 p.m.

He said the fire was quickly extinguished. There were no injuries.

Fire Chief Gary Wentzell said caulking used near or on heating devises should not be the silicone type used to seal windows and doors. Instead, it should be fireproof.

Four firetrucks including Rumford’s ladder truck, responded along with Med-Care Ambulance Service.

Emergency personnel left the scene about 8:30 p.m.



Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.