Dear Sun Spots: This is my second inquiry about the status of the Village Inn in Auburn. I tried contacting them by phone but got no results. Can Sun Spots tell me if they are going to be open by July 18 or not, as we are coming from Ohio and would love to go there for my birthday celebration on that day. There would be about 20 to 30 people in our party. If they’re not going to be open by that date, we’ll have to make arrangements to go elsewhere. Any information you may be able to afford us concerning this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. — No Name, No Town.

Answer: Sun Spots spoke with Belinda Vallee of the Village Inn Restaurant, who would like you to contact her personally to discuss arrangements for your party. This week, the new staff will be “testing the waters” and introducing a limited menu to patrons by reservation only. To inquire about a reservation, call the restaurant at 782-7796 and Belinda will return your call to confirm. Updated information about the restaurant will also be available by calling that number.

After at least a week of test runs, they hope to be open with regular hours to offer the full menu, which Belinda described as “exciting and new!”

Dear Sun Spots: I’m hearing impaired. I watch TV with captions. I like to watch older movies on channel 35 WPME, usually on weekends, but the captions are just terrible. Extra letters, missing letters, words run together, captions flash on and off. Impossible to make sense of!

To pinpoint time, the movies were “Moulin Rouge” and “Jaw Breaker.” Even the commercials were bad.

Could you check this problem out for me with channel 35? Thank you. — No Name, Monmouth.

Answer: Sun Spots suggests following the FCC’s rules for handling closed captioning problems. The rules require that consumers first complain in writing to their programming distributor, for example, your cable or satellite TV service, or the TV station if you do not pay for cable. If you don’t pay for cable, contact WPME at 4 Ledgeview Dr., Westbrook, ME 04092 or call 774-0051.

According to the FCC, the TV distributor must respond in writing to your complaint within about 45 days of receiving the complaint. Your written complaint must provide specific information about the closed captioning problem and should include the television channel number and call sign or name, for example, Channel 35 WPME; the date and time when you experienced the captioning problem; the name of the program or show with the captioning problem; a detailed description of the captioning problem; a specific reference to the FCC’s closed captioning rules (“47 CFR Part 79.1”); your name, street, city, state and zip code, and other contact information such as a phone or TTY number or e-mail address.

If the video programming distributor fails to respond to your written complaint, you can mail your complaint to the FCC at Federal Communications Commission, Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau, Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division, 445 12th St. S.W., Washington, DC 20554. You can also file your complaint by e-mailing [email protected]; calling 1-888-225-5322 or 1-888-835-5322, TTY; or faxing 1-866-418-0232.

The FCC notes that the best way to provide all the information they need to process your complaint is to complete fully the online complaint form at

This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name (we won’t use it if you ask us not to). Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can also be e-mailed to [email protected]  

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.