NEW SHARON — Two local men face charges after police say they were highly intoxicated and firing off rounds in a barn Tuesday night.

One of them is also accused of assaulting a family member and an officer, and the other is accused of pointing a laser on a firearm at police officers.

Roger Harris, 54, of New Sharon was arrested on charges of assault on an officer, obstructing a report of crime or injury, violation of condition of release, domestic violence assault and domestic violence criminal threatening, State Police Trooper Jed Malcore said Wednesday.

Moses Rollins, 27, of New Sharon was arrested on charges of criminal trespass, reckless conduct and criminal use of a laser pointer, he said.

Police received a report of a domestic assault on Weeks Mills Road. Malcore and Franklin County Sheriff Deputies Sandy Burke and Nate Reid responded.

Harris was accused of punching a family member who was visiting a residence, Malcore said. The person had a black eye and bruises but was not taken to the hospital, he said.

Harris had also broken the family member’s cellphone when an attempt was made to call police, Malcore said.

The relative called emergency dispatchers and told them that Harris had left the residence with a firearm that turned out to be a rifle, he said.

Harris and his friend, Rollins, went down to the barn and started shooting off rounds while police were en route, Malcore said.

“We heard shots fired,” he said, when they arrived at the scene.

The shots were heard starting at about 8 p.m. and lasted about an hour or more, he said.

Police secured the area and Harris eventually walked out to the road without a firearm, Malcore said. Harris kicked one of the officers while in custody, he said.

He was arrested and put into handcuffs and taken to the Franklin County jail in Farmington, he said.

Police could still hear shots being fired coming from the barn area, he said.

A short time later, he said, a laser pointer attached to a firearm was seen in the area, including on police and a police cruiser. It is against the law to point a laser at a uniformed police officer, Malcore said.

Police used a public address system to try to get Rollins to come out but he didn’t answer them, Malcore said.

“He finally came out of the building and we arrested him,” he said.

Rollins had been previously warned not to go on the property.

Both men were “highly intoxicated,” Malcore said.

Harris bailed out of jail on Wednesday on $500 cash, a corrections officer said.

Rollins was being held on $2,500 cash bail and remained at the jail on Wednesday night, the officer said.

[email protected]

filed under: