BRIDGTON — Two structure fires about two miles apart last Wednesday are unrelated and not suspicious, although one is still under investigation, Bridgton fire Chief Glen Garland said Monday.

Bridgton firefighters responded to the Pike Farm Apartments at 116 South High St. on Jan. 9 where flames burned out a first-floor apartment. Garland said other apartments in the building had smoke and heat damage, but tenants are expected to move back this week.

He said the fire is still under investigation by the state Fire Marshal’s Office, but it is not considered suspicious. “It looks to be accidental at this point,” Garland said.

The other fire, at the First and Last Resort Motel on Portland Road, was caused by a wood stove, he said. The motel was closed for the winter, and the only occupant was a relative of the owner, who was staying in the owner’s quarters. Some of the motel rooms had some smoke damage, Garland said.

[email protected]

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.