LIVERMORE FALLS — More than 30 firefighters from five departments fought a fire at a house at 15 Baldwin St. about noon Tuesday.

No one was injured and two dogs were safely removed from the house, fire Chief Tim “T.D.” Hardy said.

Chris Stanford, an investigator for the Office of the State Fire Marshal, said the fire was accidental and began in the attic ceiling near a light.

Owners Buffie and John Crocker were not at home when the fire started. A passer-by reported the fire.

Smoke and flames poured from the eaves of the house in the congested, residential area across from the former Livermore Falls SAD 36 Primary School.

Firefighters sprayed water on the blaze from different angles and worked off the Livermore Falls and Jay ladder trucks to get at the stubborn fire. They cut a hole in the roof and broke glass out of a few windows for ventilation.

“We knocked the fire down from the outside,” Hardy said, and had to get a crew inside to get to the fire. The fire was contained to the third level of the house, he said.

There was heavy fire damage to the attic, he said. The first and second floor received smoke and water damage. The house is insured and the Crockers are being assisted by family.

Fire crews from Livermore Falls, Jay, Livermore, Farmington and Wilton responded to the fire. Livermore Falls Water District employees opened up the hydrants and helped firefighters with air packs and hoses. A Central Maine Power Co. employee shut off electricity to the house, and a crew from NorthStar EMS ambulance stood by.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.