BETHEL — A man died in a Wednesday morning house fire on Elm Street, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said.

Joshua Piawlock, 39, died in his second-floor bedroom. The State Medical Examiner’s office reported Piawlock died of smoke inhalation, McCausland said in a news release.

Also in the house were Piawlock’s girlfriend, Lucinda Bilodeau, 52, and their son, Eric, 18. She escaped through a first-floor door, and Eric escaped through a second-floor window onto the porch roof, according to McCausland.

Both were treated for minor smoke inhalation. Bilodeau also had minor burns that were treated.  

Investigators determined the fire started in wiring in a wall on the first floor and gutted the two-story building. There was no indication there were any working smoke detectors in the house, according to McCausland.

Firefighters said the single-family house was engulfed in flames when they arrived on the scene. The fire was reported at 4:40 a.m.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.



Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: