OGUNQUIT (AP) — The fire chief in Ogunquit, Maine, says a time-share resort where guests were sickened by carbon monoxide won’t be fined, and it plans to install carbon monoxide detectors in all 77 of its rooms.

Fire Chief Mark O’Brien told the Portland Press Herald (http://bit.ly/NtLTkj) that The Falls at Ogunquit won’t face any sanctions for not having any carbon monoxide detectors because a state law requiring them took effect long after the resort was built. A state panel that oversees heating system installers is investigating to determine whether a propane furnace that malfunctioned was installed properly in 2006.

Seven guests were treated at the hospital Sunday and 14 were treated with oxygen at the resort after a joint between two exhaust pipes separated, spreading the gas into 12 rooms.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: