WISCASSET — It took less than a minute for the Wiscasset High School boys’ varsity soccer team to register a goal in its 4-0 win against Oak Hill on Monday.

The Wolverines (4-9-1) put up 15 first-half shots and 27 total against the Raiders (0-12-2). Oak Hill goalkeeper Kaleb Morissette was kept busy, making 15 saves in goal.

“It was a nice win,” Wiscasset coach Chris Cossette said. “Especially on senior night, getting all the seniors in there, they had a good time.”

Just 28 seconds into the game, Brycson Grover headed in the first goal for Wiscasset off a Brandon Goud assist.

“He’s a truly dynamic, competitive player,” Cossette said of Grover. “He’s one of our captains. He’s a leader, a quiet leader that’s not one to speak too much, but goes out there and does the job and leads by example.”

With 29:50 remaining, the Wolverines increased their lead when Goud found Kevin Lynch on a corner kick to make it 2-0.

“We came out very slow and lethargic,” Oak Hill coach Pete Letourneau said. “We gave up that real quick goal. Wiscassets just a better team, but we at least competed in the second half, which is what I wanted.”

Wiscasset added to the lead with 23:58 remaining in the first half when Nate Woodman found the back of the net. Chase Reed assisted Woodman, making it 3-0.

Oak Hill had its first shot of the game shortly after, but Sam Strozier made the save for the Wolverines. Strozier had four total saves in goal.

Conlon Ranta kicked a nice shot with a few minutes left in the half, but Morissette made the one-handed save. Morissette had six first half stops for the Raiders.

“He does to a pretty good job back there,” Letourneau said of his keeper. “He’s a good athlete.”

The second half was much more even, with Oak Hill getting a few more opportunities. Nate Ashton, Brandon Michaud and Vinny Rinaldi all played well for the Raiders, doing their best to try to cut into the lead.

However, Lynch almost netted his second of the game, but his header off the corner kick was just wide. The Wolverines held a 7-0 edge in corner kicks.

“We’re really young. Half the team are freshmen,” Letourneau said. “I started three of them. We lost our best player early in the season so it left us with just two seniors. We’re young and developing.”

With nine minutes remaining, Oak Hill had its best chance to get on the board. Michaud received a nice cross pass and looked to beat Strozier for a goal, but the ball hit the post and Wiscasset cleared it to stop the threat.

A few minutes later, Caleb Gabriele had an open look for Wiscasset, but Morissette made the diving stop. With two minutes remaining, Marr made a nice pass to Reed for what looked to be an easy goal, but Morissette made the save. He had nine saves in the second half for the Raiders.

“It’s been a long season, because we have been young and have struggled this year,” Letourneau said. “But I’m fortunate. I have a really good group of boys, they have a really good work ethic, take care of business the right way. They’re good sports. They do a lot of the things that I hold important that don’t necessarily show up on the scoreboard.”

Woodman increased the lead to four, when he scored his second goal of the game with 34 seconds remaining in regulation. Russell Marr had the assist.

“Last year was a rebuilding year, so we grew a lot,” Cossette said. “This year we really solidified our formation. We were hit with injuries hard, but they really learned how to come together and started playing the style we want.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.