WINDHAM — Wayne Patrick King, 36, of Lewiston died Sunday morning while incarcerated at the Maine Correctional Center.

According to a written statement from Maine Department of Corrections Deputy Commissioner Jody Breton, King died at approximately 11:30 a.m. Sunday. Consistent with the DOC policy and the Attorney General’s Office protocols, the State Police and medical examiner were notified. Both are reviewing the death.

At the time of his death, King had served approximately half of his 34-month sentence for eluding an officer, concurrent with two charges of aggregated operating after habitual offender revocation, with prior convictions.

He was convicted of the felony eluding charge in Androscoggin County Superior Court in August 2015. He was scheduled to be released in January 2017.

In September 2014, state police arrested King following a chase in Durham.

According to Sun Journal archives, King was living in Waldoboro at the time and led police on a chase along Route 136 in Durham, nearly striking a pair of flaggers at a construction site before seen speeding into Pownal.

At the time, police believed the 1999 purple Chevrolet Tracker was being driven by Edwin Duquette, but when Duquette saw his photo on Facebook and in news reports, he called police to report that he had recently sold the SUV to King, who still had Duquette’s license plates on the car at the time of the chase.

King was later found hiding in a storage area of a Lewiston apartment house, where police arrested him on warrants for not paying fines and for a probation violation not related to the chase.

He was later indicted on charges of eluding police and operating after habitual offender reovation, and pleaded guilty to both charges. In addition to the prison sentence, King was fined $1,000.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.