DEAR SUN SPOTS: This is my first time writing to you in hopes of a direction. Do you know of any lawyer in the Lewiston-Auburn area who works with people who have been wrongfully terminated from their job?

I would like a lawyer that specializes in understanding that employees need protection under the whistleblower law.

Thanking you in advance.

— Sue, no town

ANSWER: The Maine State Bar Association offers a very responsive lawyer referral service.

According to the MSBA, “our business is helping you find the right lawyer for your specific situation, whatever that situation is. Our members practice in almost every area of law, from adoptions to zoning board issues, and everything in between.”


There are two ways to get a referral. One option is to call 1-800-860-1460 and leave a message about why you’re calling. The second is to fill out an online referral request form — at with your personal contact information and why you’re seeking an attorney.

The MSBA will search its members for someone who is best suited to help you.  It’s a service the bar association has offered since 1972, and is a good way to find a qualified, licensed attorney who specializes in exactly what you need.

DEAR SUN SPOTS: Is there a dentist in the Lewiston-Auburn area who will fill a tooth, that is, without X-rays, exam or anything else? Just fill a tooth that has lost a filling?

— Christine, no town

ANSWER: It’s highly unlikely you’ll find a dentist willing to do a filling without an exam because that may be the only way to figure out why your filling was lost. Sometimes fillings fall out because they weren’t set properly, or a cavity may have developed under the filling.

If you don’t want to lose the new filling, an exam is really the only way to figure out what’s going on.


Finding a dentist in the Lewiston-Auburn area is pretty simple.

Maine dentists must be licensed through the state through the Maine Board of Dental Practice, which provides a searchable database for all dentists. You can search by name or you can search the entire database for a specific location.

The best thing about searching for a dentist this way is that you can also find out whether the dentist — or anyone in that dental practice — has ever been disciplined for poor dental practices.

To search, go to

If you don’t have access to a computer, you can get the same information by phone. Call 207-287-3333.

DEAR SUN SPOTS: Do you know of volunteers who will help elderly with yard work, if not names of someone willing to do this for hire?


Thank you.

— No name, no town

ANSWER: There is no directory of volunteers who do yard work, but plenty of Scouting troops, church youth groups and school teams offer volunteer work.

Readers? If you can recommend someone, please write Sun Spots and let us know.

Use the QR code to go to Sun Spots online for additional information and links. This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name (we won’t use it if you ask us not to). Please include your phone number. Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can be emailed to, tweeted @SJ_SunSpots or posted on the Sun Spots Facebook page at This column can also be read online at We’ve joined Pinterest at

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.