The Maine Public Utilities Commission issued the following safety tips for residents who use natural gas or propane:

If you are indoors and smell gas, you should:

• Leave the structure immediately and make sure that all other occupants do the same.

• Don’t turn on or off any electrical equipment or light switches, or do anything else that could create a spark or flame.

• Once safely outside the structure, call 911 and the natural gas or propane supplier. If you do not know the natural gas or propane supplier, simply call 911.

• Stay outside until you have been authorized to return by the fire department or natural gas or propane supplier.


If you are outdoors and smell gas:

• Leave the area immediately.

• Call 911 and the natural gas or propane supplier once you are a safe distance away, or call 911 if you don’t know the natural gas or propane supplier.

If you have natural gas or propane appliances in your home or business:

• Make sure air intakes and exhaust vents are clear of obstructions and that any gas meters, pressure regulators and piping are clear of obstructions.

• Make sure your home heating equipment is inspected annually by a licensed technician for both safety and efficiency reasons. All gas and oil heating system installations and servicing must be conducted by licensed technicians.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: