WILTON — A man was treated for smoke inhalation Wednesday after firefighters pulled him from his smoke-filled apartment at Village View Apartments.

It was the second time in five months that firefighters responded to Neil Rackliff’s apartment for a fire started by smoking materials, officials said. The first time, on Sept. 1, 2018, he suffered burns.

“If it wasn’t for the quick response of the Wilton Fire Department, there is no doubt that the outcome of this would have been different,” investigator Jeremy Damren of the Office of the Maine Fire Marshal, said. “If they hadn’t gotten there when they did, he would have been dead.”

Damren said the fire was accidental and started from a lit cigarette on a couch cushion in the living room.

Given the circumstances and that smoking is prohibited in the apartment building, Damren said he issued Rackliff a summons on a misdemeanor charge of reckless conduct.

A conviction is punishable by up to 364 days in jail.

Fire Chief Sonny Dunham said he was the first to arrive at the apartment but couldn’t get in because the door was locked. He went to a locked box to get the key.

Firefighters got in and carried the unresponsive, 50-year-old man outside.

Rackliff eventually came to and was talking, Damren said.

Rackliff was taken to Franklin Memorial Hospital in Farmington.

Farmington, East Dixfield and Jay fire rescue departments and Franklin County Sheriff’s Office responded to the 1:49 p.m. call.

The apartment complex on Village View Street consists of several buildings with four apartments each.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: