Fire crews extinguish a fire on the roof of the Magic Lantern movie theater on Main Street in Bridgton on Wednesday morning. Advertiser Democrat photo by A.M. Sheehan

BRIDGTON — A predawn fire Wednesday at the Magic Lantern movie theater on Main Street caused minor damage but no injuries.

Paul Field, deputy chief of the Bridgton Fire Department, said a heating unit on the roof caught fire. It was reported at about 5:30 a.m.

Field said there was minor damage to the interior side of the roof and the interior of the building.

The fire was out by 7 a.m.

“A propane company and an electrician are working on identifying the problem and re-energizing the rest of the building,” Field said.

A representative from the theater did not know if it would reopen Wednesday, Field said.

Main Street was closed while crews from Harrison, Naples, Sweden, Denmark and Norway battled the fire.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: