A firefighter drags a hose behind a mobile home at 65 Bridgham Road in Buckfield Thursday morning as fire engulfs the structure. Sun Journal photo by Russ Dillingham

BUCKFIELD — A mobile home fire Thursday morning likely was caused by squirrels chewing through electrical wire coverings and creating a short circuit, according to the state Fire Marshal’s Office.

Fire Chief Tim Brooks said the homeowners at 65 Bridgham Road had had trouble with squirrels, “so that’s where (the fire investigator) is leaning.”

Fire officials initially thought it might have started near a wood pellet stove in the home.

Firefighters respond to a fire Thursday morning on Bridgham Road in Buckfield.

No one was injured in the blaze and no pets were inside, Brooks said.

A neighbor called 911 shortly before 10:30 a.m. after seeing flames shooting through the roof, he said.

“The center third of the trailer was fully involved,” when firefighters got to the scene, Brooks said. The fire was in the ceiling. “We got the center knocked down and both ends flared up.”

A firefighter is showered with firefighting foam as the walls of a mobile home at 65 Bridgham Road in Buckfield on Thursday morning are pulled apart.

The home was a total loss, he said.

Paris, Sumner and Hebron fire departments also responded to the call.

 

Firefighters fight a fire Thursday morning on Bridgham Road in Buckfield. Sun Journal file photo by Russ Dillingham


Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: