PHILLIPS — A propane water heater is believed to have been the cause of a fire that damaged a farmhouse Sunday night on Ross Avenue, Phillips Fire Department chief James Gould said.

About 30 firefighters from several departments responded to help put out the fire that was reported at about 8:37 p.m.

The wall behind the water heater caught fire. The owner sprayed water on the wall but the fire went up the wall to the attic.

“We were able to save most of the house,” Gould said.

There is some fire, smoke and water damage in the kitchen area.

No one was injured. Three people lived there and occupants got out safely.

With some work the family will be able to move back into the house, Gould said.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the residents, who are staying with family. Chrissie Wilbur is the owner, Gould said. The house is insured.

Strong, Salem Township, Weld, Farmington, Kingfield and Rangeley fire departments assisted Phillips with the fire.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: