100 Years Ago: 1923

Three years ago, Fred Gammon of Auburn went to Bear Pond in Turner on an outing with the Sprague club. He was so impressed with the beauty of the pond, partly encircled by hills, that he began to wonder why more people did not visit it for outings. Then he began to consider that if they knew more about it, and it could be made attractive for outings, they would. Later developments have shown that he was right, for the number of persons who have visited Bear Pond in a single day have reached thousands. Mr. Gammon is a member of the Gamrolow Construction Company. He imparted his idea to his partner, E. J. Harlow, also of Auburn, who a became as enthusiastic as Mr. Gammon himself.

50 Years Ago: 1973

The Auburn-Lewiston YMCA will soon be resuming its Tiny Tot Swim Program at the Auburn YMCA pool. The program, designed for three to five years old, is expected to start Sept. 17, and there’ll be classes twice a week over a five-week period.

25 Years Ago: 1998

Willowbrook at Newfield, 19th century museum village, off Rt. 11, features trades and crafts displayed in 37 structures and more than 10,000 artifacts. The hours are daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The material used in Looking Back is produced exactly  as it originally appeared although misspellings and errors may be corrected.

Comments are no longer available on this story

filed under: