BANGOR (AP) – A federal prosecutor has filed a motion to dismiss charges against a Chicago man involved in a bomb threat last year that diverted a Moroccan-bound flight to Bangor.

The U.S. Attorney’s office in Bangor filed a motion Thursday to drop federal charges after Zubair Ali Ghias, 28, pleaded guilty to a criminal charge brought by the state of Illinois and to a civil suit brought by the city of Chicago.

Ghias will serve two years of probation and has paid $13,000 in restitution to the Chicago Police for the cost of their investigation.

Ghias’ lawyer, Mark Rotert of Chicago, said Friday his client is “very relieved.”

Ghias was charged with making false statements to the FBI after last February’s events. The crimes carry a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Ghias, an investment banker, said he had been kidnapped by Arabs and forced onto a Moroccan-bound flight.

The plane was ordered to land in Bangor. No bomb was found.

Ghias allegedly faked his own kidnapping to get away from his pregnant wife, Jehan Ara Ameen, with whom he squabbled. Ghias is still married and he and his wife have a baby son.

The incident began when Ameen, who was six months’ pregnant, reported her husband missing when he did not return to their $270,000 condominium on the city’s north side for dinner on Feb. 14. His car was found three days later abandoned in Chicago’s South Side.

He called his family in Chicago on Feb. 19 and said he was being kidnapped by Arabs and forced to board a Morocco-bound plane. The Transportation Security Agency Administration diverted the flight to Bangor after hearing of a bomb threat.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.