LEWISTON — Scott Murphy was likely more familiar with Lewiston than many of his fellow rookies at training camp this week. His brother made sure of it.

Scott’s brother, Ryan, spent a year with the Maineiacs in the team’s inaugural season in Lewiston. This time, it was Ryan’s turn to watch.

Scott wasted no time making his own impression on the fans at the first intrasquad game on Friday. In the third period, he dropped the gloves with fellow 17-year-old rookie Ryan Fortune. And he did so willingly, something big brother rarely did in his time here.

“He’s a lot more aggressive, I’m a lot more laid back,” Ryan said.

Ryan is now attending St. Thomas University in his hometown of Fredericton, New Brunswick.

Scott is recovering from a leg injury he suffered either Friday night or Saturday morning, and did not skate in the second intrasquad game Saturday night.

No medal for Delmas

Peter Delmas came up empty in his first bid to earn a medal for Team Canada on Saturday.

The Maineiacs’ goalie allowed five goals on 18 shots as Russia defeated Canada 5-4 in the bronze medal game of the Memorial of Ivan Hlinka Tournament in Slovakia.

Canada outshot Russia, 38-18, including a 25-3 onslaught in the third period, but after Canada knotted the score at four in the final frame, Russia got the winner with less than eight minutes to play.

Format change

The players and fans at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee on Saturday night got a bit of a curve ball thrown their way. To begin the first period, the two teams – Team President in blue and Team Memorial in white – skated 3-on-3. At the end of the period, one-third of each team took penalty shots.

In the second, the teams skated 4-on-4 and again, a third of the team took penalty shots to cap the frame, and in the third, the teams skated at 5-on-5, and the remainder of the team took its turn in a shootout.

In the 3-on-3 portion of the game, the teams each scored five goals.

In the first shootout, Team Memorial converted three of its five shootout chances against Mike Muir, while Marc-Antoine Coulombe stopped all of Team Presidents’ shooters at the other end.

At 4-on-4, Team Memorial outscored Team President 4-2, and in the second shootout, Rob McCarthy scored the lone goal for Team Memorial against Damien Pinheiro.

With the teams at full-strength, neither team could score.

Kirk Rafuse and Marc-Andre Sauve each stopped every shot they faced. In the final shootout, each squad scored one goal, and the final score was 14-8 in favor of Team Memorial.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.