RANDOLPH (AP) — The Maine Fire Marshal’s Office says a Randolph man suffered serious smoke inhalation in a fire at his home.

Firefighters said the fire started from a metal stove pipe attached to the fireplace in the two-story log cabin-style home.

The 60-year-old Messer and his wife were home and escaped, but he went back inside three times in an attempt to rescue their cats. Three of them were saved, although some cats were not. Messer was stopped by first responders from entering the house a fourth time.

He’s recovering at a hospital.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: