MEXICO — A home at 15 Granite St. received minimal damage from a fire in the attached garage Wednesday night, Fire Chief Richie Jones said Thursday.

Jones said the State Fire Marshal’s Office determined the cause was accidental.

He said the homeowner, Denise Duguay, was taken to Rumford Hospital for smoke inhalation and was later released.

Duguay’s two cats were found safe, he said.

Jones said he was not sure who reported the fire at 10:18 p.m.

“One of my guys, Mike Chartier, actually knew the layout of the house,” Jones said. “That made it a lot better for us. They got it knocked down; it was an awesome stop. Damage was pretty confined to the garage, with a little smoke damage to the house, pretty minimal.”

Rumford, Dixfield and Peru firefighters assisted.

[email protected]

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: