Smoke pours from Amanda and Joe Smith’s home on Sorrel Lane in Phillips on Tuesday evening as firefighters adjust their breathing equipment to battle the blaze. Phillips Fire Department photo

PHILLIPS — A grease fire that started in the kitchen and extended into the walls Tuesday night heavily damaged a single-family home on Sorrel Lane.

When firefighters arrived, smoke was showing and the entryway was engulfed in flames, Fire Chief James Gould said.

“We were able to contain the fire to the kitchen and entry area,” he said. “Unfortunately, there was smoke and heat damage to the rest of the house.”

The home, which is insured, is owned by Amanda and Joe Smith who have three children. A family member got out of the house and called 911.

The fire was reported just before 6 p.m, Gould said.

It was more difficult to get to flames because it was in a double-wide modular, he said. The walls had to be opened and the sheetrock taken off to allow firefighters to make sure it was all out.

“But we got it fairly quick,” he said. “The great thing is we had plenty of help.”

Initially, 14 people showed up and the number grew to 30 firefighters from Phillips, Strong, Salem Township and Weld. NorthStar EMS ambulance personnel were also on the scene.

The Smiths have family members who live on the same road.

Firefighters didn’t finish until about 9 p.m., Gould said.

A representative of the American Red Cross called Gould on Wednesday morning to get information.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: