Twenty-three of us set off for Québec City from Hebron Academy; most of us were French students, but there were a couple of others who were interested in Québec and joined us.

The ride in Mr. Kaufman’s bus seemed to go by quickly. We stopped three times, once for birthday cake for Mr. Kaufman, other times for gas and food. Overall, it was a smooth journey and we were excited to be away for the weekend.

The first thing we did when we arrived was to check into our rooms at a hostel. Then we had about an hour and a half to explore. We chose to wander the neighborhood around the hostel. Everyone was glad to be off of the bus!

Dinner was at a small restaurant called Aux Anciens Canadiens. It was a price fixed meal and we tried some interesting French foods. That night we were scheduled to take a ferry ride across the river. Unfortunately, the ferry left just as we arrived. Instead of seeing the lights of Québec City from the river, we saw them up close. We also had a great time challenging each other in a snowball fight on the ramparts.

The next day we had a packed schedule. We saw Ste. Anne de Beaupre (an historical basilica), woodcarving at Atelier Pare (a wood sculpture workshop and museum), the Les Galeries de la Capitale (a really big mall), the Québec Experience Sound and Light Show (3-D multimedia show about Québec’s history), and we took a ride on the Funicular (an outdoor elevator that people can ride down to old Québec City).

Best of all was our visit to the Cabane a Sucre (Leclerc Sugar Shack), where we went for dinner. We arrived a little early and were assigned our tables. The restaurant was very full by the time we were all seated. Dinner was eggs, ham, potatoes, meat pie, corn and cole slaw. We enjoyed most everything – after covering everything with fresh, local maple syrup we liked it even better! There was also a one-man band for entertainment, and everyone had a good time.

On Sunday we packed up early and checked out of the hostel. We had a tour of the Citadel (an old military fort) and we went to Chaudiere Falls. We saw huge chunks of ice going over the falls; it was really amazing. Some pieces of ice were as big as an SUV.

Finally, we boarded the bus for home. At the boarder we were detained while customs checked our IDs. It was a long ride home, but we were all satisfied that we had made the most of our time in Québec.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.